Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Fabric World and a DIY Cribskirt

I have said it before and I will say it again!  I LOVE Fabric World!
Even though its a 30 minute drive from downtown Atlanta, it is so worth it.  My mom and I went last week and would you believe that we were there for 4.5 hours?!   It is totally disorganized with piles of fabric everywhere.  You have to dig, but we both love the search.  It is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get.  What you do know is that it is going to be CHEAP!  $2 a yard!  You just can't beat that....anywhere.

This is what our cart looked like before checkout
What variety in that cart! My mom picked up a lot of xmas and kids fabric for gifts.  I found a bunch of cute cotton fabrics for crib sheets and who knows what else?
Of course if I see any chevron I pick it up pronto. 
I loved this geometric pattern as well. It is a beautiful raspberry color.
We paired down a bit in the store, but still came home with a ton of fabric.
One of the fabrics I bought on my last trip was this gray and white print.  I knew I would use it for something in Mateo's nursery.
I decided I would whip up a quick crib skirt the other day.  There are a ton of tutorials out there, and I took pointers from a few different ones.  I ended up sewing a few edges, and ironing hems with  stitch witchery, but you could easily use it the for the whole thing (ie: no sewing machine needed)

I used a little less than 2 yards.  I started by cutting four panels. (2) 19w x 21h and (2) 52w x 21h
then ironed a one inch hem.
If you have never used stitch witchery, this stuff is magic!
 So easy and really holds.
I could have made pretty ties to attach the skirt panels to the frame, but alas it was easier to just use safety pins.  I can then easily raise the fabric when I lower the crib mattress.

I love how it turned out!

One more project to cross off the list. Yes, that is a Guyasamin print leaning against the wall. Still needs framing. Many, many things to do yet.  Im shooting for this nusery to be habitable before Mateo turns 5:)
Im partying over at :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails